I know what you’re thinking – it’s early October and this salad looks like it has a whole lot of summery things going on. But my declaration from last week still holds – it’s officially still summer here at Salt & Guava. I’m still trying to squeeze out the last of the summer vibes before grabbing onto that pumpkin-spiced latte. And what better way to do so than with this fresh grilled chicken and avocado salad with cilantro yogurt dressing?
This salad is one of my favorite salad recipes ever, and it’s so simple and quick to make! It features crunchiness from the romaine lettuce with a creamy richness from the avocado, and tops it off with a perfectly delicious salty bite from the tortilla chips. But, as we all know, what takes a salad to the next level is the dressing. The dressing here is a mixture of the tart Greek yogurt flavor with the brightness of cilantro, plus the subtle spicy kick you get from the jalapeño!
You might be asking, is it really worth it to make your own salad dressing? (Even if you didn’t ask – let’s pretend you did.)
My response is YES! It is so worth making your own dressing!
I love a good homemade dressing (especially this one) for a few reasons:
- You can control what goes in it. Most of the salad dressings I’ve seen at the store are filled with sugar and preservatives, but you get none of that when making your own. (That is, unless you go out of your way to add phosphoric acid, and then I’ll actually be very impressed.)
- Right now in my refrigerator, I can count at least seven half-used bottles of salad dressing. They just have a way of getting pushed to the back of the fridge and end up forgotten. The good news is this salad dressing is so good, it will be impossible to banish it to the abyss since you’ll want to use it on everything.
- Most importantly, bragging rights! Go ahead – feel proud of what you’ve accomplished, and don’t be afraid to share it with the world.
Grilled Chicken and Avocado Salad with Cilantro Yogurt Dressing
A fresh and delicious Mexican-inspired salad that is filled with avocado, tomatoes, grilled chicken, and tortilla chips – and is paired with the best cilantro yogurt dressing!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 main meals, 4 servings as a side
Cilantro Avocado Yogurt Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 cups of roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped jalapeño
- ½ cup of 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/8 of a cup of water (if you like the dressing smoother, you can add up to 1/4 cup of water)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 3 cups of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/3 cup of red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10-12 tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 6 oz of grilled chicken or rotisserie chicken; I like this recipe here.
- Cilantro Avocado Yogurt Dressing
For the dressing:
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth. If it’s too thick for your liking, you can add more water until you reach the desired consistency.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if you think it needs more.
For the salad:
- In a medium bowl, add the lettuce, onions, tomatoes, tortilla chips, avocado, grilled chicken, and a squeeze of lime. Then drizzle the avocado-lime yogurt dressing over the salad and combine!
- If you are making your own grilled chicken, let the chicken rest for about 5-10 minutes before adding it to the salad.
- You can make the dressing a 1-2 days in advanced and if you are hosting a party you can chop all the ingredients up (except the avocado) and right before serving mix everything all together, add the avocado, and drizzle the dressing!
- If you want to meal prep this for the week – keep the tortilla chips separate and crush them right before eating, since they become soggy after a while.