Happy Thursday everyone!
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday break celebrating with your family and friends! Tom and I just got back from Florida yesterday where we spent a beautiful few days with my family in Miami and at our farm in central Florida. We cooked (we made these and these); we played games (we’re super into Ticket to Ride, and these are the versions we have and love); and I got some new cookbooks (obsessed with this one, I made the chicken marsala meatballs yesterday and it was incredible!) and props for my blog! I’m happy to be back in DC, and Tom and I are getting ready to celebrate our second wedding anniversary and the New Year with some friends! This leads into this week’s recipe – a delicious Chipotle Hummus with Garden Pico de Gallo. If you’re hosting a New Year’s party and want a delicious, simple appetizer any crowd would like, this chipotle hummus is beautiful and sure to be the star of the night! If you’ve never made your own hummus before and you’re wary about making it, don’t be – it’s so incredibly simple to make. You just need to measure out a few ingredients, add them to the food processor, and blend. I LOVE the garden pico de gallo on this hummus. It adds a freshness and balance to the smokiness of the chipotle. If you’re not up to making your own hummus, you don’t actually need to make everything from scratch to create an amped-up dip for your crudite platter. Just buy some pre-made hummus, put it in a nice bowl, add a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil, and add some of the garden pico de gallo over it. You can also stir in the chipotle in adobo sauce before as well! I have to say that there is nothing more beautiful in my eyes than a crudite platter. There is so much color involved, and they’re so fun to assemble (definitely my favorite food styling yet). More importantly, you can customize it however you’d like. In the one pictured, I made the hummus the centerpoint; grilled some pita bread; bought some tzatziki; and added some marinated olives, cucumbers, carrots, celery, sweet peppers, pomegranate quarters, and some uchuvas (Colombian gooseberries I found at Whole Foods). This snack is delicious, healthy, and vegan. With the smokiness from the chipotles, this recipe will take your hummus game to the next level!
Let me know if you try this! And have a great New Year!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.Print
Smoky Chipotle Hummus with Garden Pico de Gallo
Delicious smokey chipotle hummus with a fresh and crunchy garden pico de gallo. Vegan, healthy, and the perfect snack.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (16 oz) can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup of tahini
- ¼ cup and 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of ½ of a lemon
- 2 chilis in adobo sauce
- ½ tablespoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ⅛ – ¼ cup of water (optional, but use if you’d like to thin the hummus)
Garden Pico de Gallo
- ¼ cup cucumber, diced
- ¼ cup of white onion, diced
- 1 plum (or roma) tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of cilantro, chopped
- Juice of ½ lime
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- In a food processor, add the garlic cloves and pulse a few times until it’s roughly chopped. Add the chickpeas, tahini, ¼ cup of olive oil, lemon juice, chiles (add 1 first), salt, cumin, garlic powder, and blend. Once you blend it, give it a taste. If you want it smokier and bolder, add the next chili pepper. If it is too thick, add a tablespoon of water and blend. Keep adding water little by little until you reach your desired consistency. Store in the refrigerator to cool for at least 20 minutes before assembling everything together.
Garden Pico de Gallo:
- Combine the cucumber, onion, tomato, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a small bowl.
- Spread the hummus in a bowl, drizzle it with a little bit of olive oil, and sprinkle some paprika or cayenne over it (optional). Using a spoon, take the pico de gallo and gently spoon in over the hummus. Enjoy with pita bread and vegetables!