Happy Thursday everyone!
I’m currently in Miami spending some time with my family and enjoying the beautiful weather here! Today’s recipe is simple, but filled with bold and delicious flavors! These roasted sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish to eggs and avocado for a delicious breakfast. Or you can easily make them in fry form like I did here or pair them with some veggie burgers.The key to the roasted sweet potatoes are all in the spices! Over Thanksgiving, Tom and I were in Chicago with his side of the family having a wonderful time and during our visit we stopped at a spice store in Evanston called the Spice House where I bought a spice mix called Sunny Oaxaca and have proceeded to use it on so many dishes!
These sweet potatoes are inspired by that spice mix and have so many delicious spices that make this a perfect blend. There’s ancho chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, thyme, coffee, salt, pepper, and some maple syrup for a bit of sweetness. Although I’ve used this spice blend on many things, I love the balance the flavors have with the sweet potatoes. It’s the perfect side side for dinner, or breakfast potatoes to go alongside some eggs and a wonderful way to warm up your January!
Roasted Spiced Sweet Potatoes
The most delicious and flavorful roasted sweet potatoes perfect for breakfast or be made into fries!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings as a side
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ancho chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of cumin
- ¼ teaspoon of oregano
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of thyme
- ¼ teaspoon of coffee
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the salt, ancho chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, thyme, coffee, and black pepper in a bowl.
- In a larger bowl add the sweet potatoes and drizzle the olive oil, maple syrup, and spice mix and mix to combine making sure everything is all evenly distributed.
- Assemble the sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and spread the potatoes so that they aren’t too close to each other. This will ensure they crisp up instead of steam. And roast for 30-40 minutes.